Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

More Conservation BS Part II

posted by Anonymous eBirder at
on Thursday, February 10, 2011 

I have to take back my cantankerous post from earlier. For those of you that didn't see it, too bad, it's deleted forever :).

The point I was trying to drive at was this: As birders, and as humans who care about the plantet, we sometimes act in direct opposition to our superficial claims. I see it all too often in myself and others. Every day, I try and improve my relations with the Earth, celebrate biodiversity, and support conservation. I hold birders to a high standard, and hope they do those same things too, so it disappoints me when I see that they're not.

There is an interesting question that comes from all of this. How much conservation should we support? Do our interests outweigh the interests of capitalism, recreation, etc.? In my own opinion, they do. Conservation biology and the environmental movement can't be squashed by big business, overpopulation, or anything else if we are to survive as a species on this planet. I don't think any God, or new technology, will save us from the destruction we inflict upon ourselves, so why wait?

Where do we draw the line? Should we remove all Tamarisk from the Colorado River at the expense of nesting Willow Flycatchers? Do we shut down all natural gas wells because they are negatively affecting Greater Sage Grouse and our water quality? Should we all trade in our SUVs for bikes? I know the choices that the birds would like us to make, but what choices will we make?

I wish you all good luck in your quest to become better stewards of the Earth. Let me know if you'd like to join forces.

Carl

Labels: ,

3 Comments:
Blogger Anonymous eBirder said...

Also, I'd like to add that science shouldn't have to answer to politicians, corporations, or any other private interest. Science should benifit science & that's it.

February 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger ABranch said...

Science benefits all and Politicians and corporations should utilize it more in their decision making. Science is the tool to measure past decisions and a guide for future ones.

February 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff Bilsky said...

Well said, ABranch! @Ingwell: Cantankerous Carl will be missed but I understand why you redacted him. As I've blogged about, I do have hope that the collective human view will someday push towards an appreciation for the things on this planet other than us for more than their capitalist/consumerist value. You've proposed that our own survival is dependent on a change in thinking. I agree with that. I'd also like to put forth the notion that it doesn't need to be about our survival. I think the fact that something is alive through the some processes that created humanity is enough to give it respect. This seemingly should apply to both the scientific viewpoint (obvious connection through evolution/DNA etc) or the religious viewpoint (To believe God made everything for humanity's use, you think he'd condone extinction of species and depletion of resources? When you're a guest in someone's house, do you take a piss in their kitchen sink and poison their children?) and most everything in between.

February 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR