Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

The Imperial Woodpecker

posted by Jeff Bilsky at
on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 


This is a fascinating glimpse at the now presumed extinct Imperial Woodpecker. Make sure you check out the video footage.

Link to Article

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
Blogger Tim Avery said...

I really want to write to Tim Gallagher and solicit him to write an article strictly about the more dangerous side of what they did. Talk about the encounters they had with the drug traffickers, the police, etc. A glimpse at birding in the wild in Mexico, versus in America perhaps... It would make for a great read, and be very informative to those of us who haven't experienced that type of "birding".

And like Jeff said, make sure to watch the video.

October 27, 2011 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Bill Hunter said...

I birded the Sierra Madres several years back as a land tour off a cruise ship. I was led by an armed guard of several soldiers (5) as I walked around naive to the dangers and wondering why all the "gunmen" were spread out paralleling my path. I got my target birds and talked to locals about the Imperial. I was given first hand accounts as if they were still there. That was back during the Ivory-billed hoop-la. It wasn't until later that I realized the danger I was in and to what extent I endangered the Mexican soldiers as well.

October 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR