Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

Cameras for the non-photographer

posted by Anonymous eBirder at
on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 

This morning I saw an interesting thread on UBIRD. Norm Jenson was discussing cameras that were a bit smaller and user friendly, that could more easily be carried around while birding, but were still capable of taking decent bird photographs.

I wouldn't call myself a photographer in any sense of the word, but I do enjoy photographing my travels and experiences. I've always been looking for the perfect camera that is versatile enough to cover my wide variety of needs, while being small enough to lug around with me, and also one that fits my limited budget.

I currently own a nice point and click that takes pretty good landscape photos, people photos, and my artsy photos. I've yet to find a good point/shoot that does all that as well as taking a few decent nature photographs. My current camera absolutely sucks at nature photography; I either get a poor quality zoomed out photo, or a blurry zoomed in photo.

So, birders, what point and shoot cameras do you use while birding? Norm's suggestion was Canon's SX40 HS, but I'm wondering what other suggestions are out there.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
Blogger Tim Avery said...

I will always recommend a DSLR over a Point shoot for all types of photography, just for the fact that the lenses that you can add on to a SLR make a world of difference over the glass/plastic lenses in most point and shoots. Nowadays you can pick up a decent DSLR for a few hundred bucks ($300-400), and invest a couple hundred in lenses. With that you could be set for years with quality equipment for all kinds of photography.

I do also carry several point and shoots--primarily anything Nikon coolpix. I also have a Panasonic Lumix that take some nice shots. Granted neither of these are great for wildlife, but both are awesome for macro and scenery.

November 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I carry a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 with an Olympus 1.7x teleconverter when birding. It's a great affordable point-and-shoot with super zoom for catching bird shots. You can see the results with my very amateur skills at www.corystokes.com.

November 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR