Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

"Yellow" House Finch

posted by Jerry Liguori at
on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 


Have you ever seen the "yellow variant" or "orange variant" of the House Finch? Some people call it Yellow, others call it Orange...either way, they are pretty uncommon. I have seen a few, but many birders I know have yet to see one. The only one I photographed was last winter (above), and I was pretty excited to do so. For some reason, I have always wanted to get a decent photo of this odd-colored House Finch. Anyway, not much to say, just something I've been meaning to share in case anyone wants to save the photo in their files.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:
Blogger Kiirsi said...

I had one visit my house about 4 months ago. It was really exciting! Great photo.

October 2, 2011 at 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Jerry Liguori said...

Thanks Kiirsi.

Glad you had one at your house, wonder if it will come back

Jerry

October 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Tim Avery said...

Growing up we used to get one every once in a while at my parents house in Salt Lake. I haven't seen one in a few years now, but a couple years ago I photographed one that was in between--that is having a mostly pink pattern with some orange streaks and entire feathers:

Orange Spots on the Forehead

Orange Streaks on the Head

It's always fun to see variations within species. Great photo by the way!

October 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Jerry Liguori said...

Thanks Tim, nice to see your pics

October 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw one in front of my house in Logan

December 16, 2023 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR