Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

2013 Photo Big Year Challenge

posted by Tim Avery at
on Tuesday, January 1, 2013 

Let's just say it's on!  

Although this isn't an official Utah Birders Competition (yet) I am challenging any takers to a friendly match of "photographic big year".  The goal here is to take identifiable photos of as many species of birds in Utah in 2013 as you can.

They can be taken with a camera phone, a point and shoot, an SLR, a video camera, etc.  It doesn't matter how you take them, as long as you can identify them.  

We will use the Utah Birders Flickr Pool as the official location of the contest.  Create a SET on your Flickr account called 2013 Utah Photo Big Year, and upload your images there--1 photo of each species, what # of bird it was for the year, and when and where it was photographed.  Then also make sure to add it to the Utah Birders Photo Pool so we can see everyone who participates progress as the year goes on.

This is just for fun, but I will come up with some prizes for the winners--at least for 2nd and 3rd place since I don't want to give myself a prize :) Now that I have staked my claim, are there any takers?

UPDATE: 01/01/2013 at 4:45pm MT

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask via email at western.tanager@gmail.com. I went and created my new SET and added 32 pictures from 2.5 hours of birding this morning... Good Luck Everyone!


Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:
Blogger Kenny Frisch said...

Hey Tim,

I'm having trouble on flickr trying to make galleries, but I learned when I was reading about them that you can only have up to 18 pictures in a gallery. Should we just make multiple galleries or is there another option?

January 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Oliver Hansen said...

This sounds fun. I don't know how well I'll be able to compete, but this will for sure get me to bring my camera along with me more often.

January 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger Oliver Hansen said...

Also, I think maybe just make a new "set" instead of a gallery maybe a good option. Just make sure that they are added into the Utah Birders Pool so everyone can see them.

January 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Kenny Frisch said...

Ok. I made a set and I figured that's what Tim met.


I'm looking forward to the competition and just today it has been fun trying to get a picture of all the species I've seen. It's a great way to have more fun out in the field.

January 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Tim Avery said...

Hey guys, thanks for correcting me, I did mean a new set. I set mine up here:

2013 Utah Birders Photo Big Year

32 Species down... 300 to go :)

January 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Kenny Frisch said...

Well for at least one day I am ahead of Tim Avery,

Here are my 40 bird pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29681631@N02/sets/72157632402314745/

January 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Tim Avery said...

I see Frisch is serious about this--guess I will have to put on my A-Game in 2013!

January 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR