Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

The Big Picture

posted by Jeff Bilsky at
on Thursday, February 17, 2011 

Part of my desire to begin writing on this blog was to of course share in some great discussions on bird specific topics but also to share information that extends beyond just birding. I consider myself somewhat of an environmentalist and to that end try to keep myself educated and aware of the environmental issues that face our planet. Birds are part of the greater picture, as are we, so at times I'll pass along articles and information and thoughts about some of these "bigger picture" concepts. I'm confident a lot of you will be as interested as I am. I felt like this brief disclaimer was needed before sharing the following articles.

First, there's this, which I just read on scientists search for 100 missing species of frogs, salamanders and caecilians and the disheartening conclusion. LINK

I also recently read about the disease afflicting bats: White-nose Syndrome. It appears to be having some pretty devastating effects. LINK

My intention is definitely not to be a downer but I understand this is some pretty heavy stuff. If you need to be cheered up just remember that spring migration (the big push of it anyway) is mere weeks away and in spite of the seemingly impossible challenges facing them, the birds will soon be back on their summer breeding grounds, singing and thriving.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR