Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

Roots in Birding

posted by Tim Avery at
on Thursday, April 21, 2011 

Even before I was a birder I had my roots dug in deep. I have an outdoor loving family to thank for that. My dad an avid outdoorsmen was always hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, photographing, etc. He made sure to include my older brother and I from the very get go. Although the birder in me didin't emerge till I was about 12, my dad sent me an email this morning with a picture he found while scanning old 35mm negatives--that shows even as a little kid I had birds on my mind:

I'm the goofy one on the left with the Donald Duck Shirt.

Disney shirt with a feathered creature aside, the puzzle in the background is a serious piece of work. 500 pieces of various colored warblers, sparrows, buntings, robins, wrens, woodpeckers, cardinals, blackbirds, nuthatches, flycatchers, etc, etc etc.

It's a humbling experience to look back and see where I came from to where I've gone. What are some of your pre-birding birding memories, and/or stories?

Ironically I still have that puzzle in a box in storage somewhere!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
Anonymous Jerry Liguori said...

Tim:

What happened to that childhood innocence? I've been reverting back lately, reading all my old comic books.

April 22, 2011 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Tim Avery said...

@Jerry: Haha, it's all gone--I blame the "old guard" of Utah birding for that!

April 26, 2011 at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR