Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

Annotated List of Birds of Utah-1874

posted by Anonymous eBirder at
on Thursday, November 17, 2011 


I know I said I'd post this a long time ago, but I put it on a shelf and forgot about it for a few months.

I've rescanned (which made it slightly better) the 1874 bird checklist that I had found in Back of Beyond Books in Moab Utah.

A few friends and I were on vacation in Moab; one rainy night, after dinner, we ducked in the bookstore for a little bit to dry off and warm up before our walk back to our condo. I found this checklist on sale for 15$, which I thought was a steal. As far as I know, this is an original copy of THE first bird checklists that was ever made in the state of Utah.

What an antique for a birder to stumble across. This checklist was printed on very heavy paper with a string binding. The binding is wearing out a bit, but otherwise the checklist is in great condition.

One of the other reasons I've posted this is that we now reach a wider audience than we ever have before, and I'd like to share this with as many people as possible. If you've seen this checklist before, I'm sorry for the repeat :).

Annotated List of Birds of Utah-1874

Labels: ,

1 Comments:
Anonymous Glenda Cotter said...

Thanks for sharing this, Carl! What a wonderful historical document.

November 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR