Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

Krider's!!!

posted by Jerry Liguori at
on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 

A recent post on the Idaho listserv of a Ferruginous Hawk made me think to write this entry. A quiz photo of a juvenile light-morph Ferruginous Hawk was posted and the possibility of it being a Krider's Red-tailed Hawk was discussed. A common ID problem....I think I even show the two side-by-side in "Hawks From Every Angle".

I won't go into detail on how to separate the 2 (I posted a short response on the site), I just wanted to post 3 Krider's Red-tailed Hawks here showing how pale and lightly marked underneath they can be (adults on left and center, juvenile molting on right. Bird on right by Brian Sullivan.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:
Blogger Tim Avery said...

I still am yet to see a Krider's... sigh... Sweet Pictures though!

May 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR