Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

Any guesses?

posted by Jerry Liguori at
on Thursday, April 14, 2011 

I normally don't do quizzes, but why not? I photographed these fledglings in Utah, any guesses? Actually, I'm only 95% sure of the bird on the right, so a positive ID would be great. "Click" on photo to enlarge.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Tim Avery said...

I'll bite Jerry, I'm going to go with Horned Lark on the left and Vesper Sparrow on the right. Although it could be a young Junco on the right, the eye-ring would be odd.

April 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Judging by Tim's list, I have zero confidence in my guesses! My guess is that the bird on the left is some kind of chicken (Bobwhite?), while I thought the bird on the right a meadowlark!

April 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Jerry Liguori said...

I didn't realize until Greg said it, but the Horned Lark on the left does look like a quail / bobwhite chick with that speckled head and back. The bird on the right is a Vesper Sparrow. Tim, your a bird genius.

I'm going to do a hawk quiz down the road.

April 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Tim Avery said...

@Jerry: hardly a genius--idiot savant... maybe. The Vesper Sparrow showed those tail feathers pretty predominantly. That along with the lateral throat stripe and eye-ring were good signs. I have a few quiz shots I will throw up here eventually. I'd say a monthly quiz may be something the blog needs.

April 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR