Utah Birds, Utah Birding, and Utah Birders. Promoting the sharing of information, and the conservation of habitat for birds in Utah and elsewhere. We are a group of people who want to share what we know, and create a positive birding experience in Utah.

BIRDERS BLOG

a blog by and for Utah Birders

Similar-looking species

posted by Jerry Liguori at
on Friday, June 8, 2012 



I was out one day talking birds with Tim Avery and Jeff Cooper, and the topic "telling the difference between birds that appear identical in plumage and shape" such as Sharp-shinned from Cooper's Hawks, and light Harlan's from other Red-tails, came up. I remember saying - telling similar species by their structure and the way they move is like telling a friend or family member from a distance by the way they walk or their figure. Then, Jeff Cooper said "I understand, I have identical twins and I can tell them apart." I remember thinking that is a perfect analogy...."they are identical Jeff, but you are so familiar with them you can tell them apart with ease.

Well, Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks are very similar in appearance but not identical. The more observing you do, the easier difficult ID's become. I hope to see people out this fall watching hawks in the field, its the best (and really only) way to learn!!! Nothing looks like a Harris's Hawk (photo above, "click" to enlarge), I just like them.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Back to Previous




UTAH BIRDERS FLICKR POOL


    SEE MORE AND SHARE ON FLICKR